DNS Help

JARiley at dstsystems.com JARiley at dstsystems.com
Fri Jun 25 16:05:55 CDT 2004

switch to gandi.net

James

"Brian Kelsay" <BLKELSAY at kcc.usda.gov>
Sent by: owner-kclug at kclug.org
06/25/2004 10:43 AM

<kclug at kclug.org>
cc

Subject
DNS Help

I have a domain I purchased at godaddy.com and I was using free hosting at
1and1.com, but I want to just put the site on my server at home.   Here's
the delimma.  GoDaddy will do DNS if you use one of their hosting plans or
if you just want to park a domain, otherwise you have to provide your own
DNS.   When I was trying to build a site at 1&1 I was using their DNS, but
I switched it back to just a parked domain at godaddy until I figured out
what I wanted to do.

Any recommendations as to where I can get free DNS to point mydomain.com
to my home IP?   I already know how to setup the firewall to redirect port
80 to the webserver.  I previously used dyndns.org for a free subdomain
account, but they charge about 24.95/yr for basic DNS of your own domain.
That's a bit much for something I'm just screwing around w/ at home.    I
also want to be able to direct the MX.

Brian Kelsay