DNS Help

Matt Graham linux at bizniche.com
Fri Jun 25 16:11:50 CDT 2004

Brian Kelsay wrote:

>I have a domain I purchased at godaddy.com and I was using free hosting at 1and1.com, but I want
to just put the site on my server at home.   Here's the delimma.  GoDaddy will do DNS if you use
one of their hosting plans or if you just want to park a domain, otherwise you have to provide your
own DNS.   When I was trying to build a site at 1&1 I was using their DNS, but I switched it back
to just a parked domain at godaddy until I figured out what I wanted to do.

>Any recommendations as to where I can get free DNS to point mydomain.com to my home IP?   I
already know how to setup the firewall to redirect port 80 to the webserver.  I previously used
dyndns.org for a free subdomain account, but they charge about 24.95/yr for basic DNS of your own
domain.  That's a bit much for something I'm just screwing around w/ at home.    I also want to be
able to direct the MX.

Zoneedit will give you free dns and mx stuff.  Can't remember if it's
.org or .com.  It's a pretty cool service though.

Matt