Linux Recommendations

Brian Kelsay BLKELSAY at kcc.usda.gov
Thu Jun 24 13:57:29 CDT 2004

The only way to know if your specific app will work is to try it.   You also need to know if DOSemu
can connect to a samba share and use a samba printer.  I would test this in pieces and then add one
layer of complexity at a time.  That is always a good testing methodology.   Then if the setup
breaks down you know where the culprit is.   You have a fairly complicated setup to get all this
done.  You may want to explain to us the purpose of the app and why its on a share.  If it is just
a .bat file, post it so it can be looked at or tried.

When the user goes to the TightVNC server, does he use a shortcut on the desktop to launch the
program, or open a cmd line from Start/Run/command and then run the command?   TightVNC works on
Linux of course, but you will also have to make the connections over the subdomains work too.

So, user logs into TightVNC server, either clicks on a shortcut or opens cli and runs prog.   The
.bat file he is running exists on the 3rd PC, that is a SMB share and occasionally he prints also
to the SMB printer.

Do you want to replace the TightVNC server and the one sharing the app and printer?

Brian Kelsay

>>> "Paul Taylor" <paul at kcnetcare.com> 06/23/04 11:07PM >>>
Anyone know if I can replace a Windows 98 machine running the DOS
application that connects to a share via UNC and prints to a shared printer?
The Windows 98 machine is a tightvnc server. The printer is on another
subnet across the Internet which is connected by an IPSec tunnel in
transport mode. The share is on the same subnet.

A remote user logs into Win98 box via tightvnc then launches the DOS
application. Occasionally, the user will print from DOS (Win98) and it
prints out on the shared printer.

The Win98 box occasionally locks up when the user prints from DOS and the
box must be rebooted to 'fix'.

Does anyone know if I can run this application from Linux?

The DOS application is not installed on the Windows 98 machine, there is a
shortcut to a .bat file on the share computer.

Anyone have thoughts or suggestions on a Linux box replacing the Windows 98
box running Linux? I've never tried a DOS application running on Linux.