Could open-source be illegal someday?

lerninlinux at comcast.net lerninlinux at comcast.net
Fri Jan 30 13:33:41 CST 2004

since THEY have
> already put a linux offering out would they not be bound by the gpl in a
> quazi sence  they are GIVING thier source code away.    since they claim
> to hold the patents on the questonable source and have already
> distributed it via gpl would that null and void all  lawsuit.   one
> would think they knew what they were distributing...

They are bound by the gpl, and Ianal, but I do recognize that if they prove that Linux has
unauthorized, unapproved coping form Unix to Linux.  Then they may be at  fault if Novell wins over
SCO thus making Sco owe from the infrigments that they have commited.  If you Groklaw you'll find
what I am talking about.  They released  Unix (I believe system 3) into the wilds,  they had an
employee, under managers approval, write code for the kernel (this employee had/has knowledge of
Unix and wrote code for both)(I believe I found out about this one on Bruce Perens site). They
released and continue releasing under gpl even since lawsuit you can download the kernel.  They
were intervied and responded that they would not hold any liabillity on anyone who purchased/used
thier products (interview with something like zd/net a long time ago, maybe just before lawsuit was
filled when still ultimatums were going).  This was specifically in response to a question about
Caldera customers and United Linux,  IBM could have bought one copy of Caldera openlinux and been
exempt from anything that they claim as copyright infringent (still see this as a possible defense
mechanism for IBM).

Sorry for the blathering but the list goes on, must be a diaretic bovine around here somewhere!