[OT] Mission to the Moon

Brian Kelsay BLKELSAY at kcc.usda.gov
Fri Jan 30 14:26:22 CST 2004

>I think I'm joining the David Nicol wild idea club with this one, but
>it seems to me that KCLUG could put Apache in this little box on the
>moon and serve a website from the moon!

Do you know what the comms are like between Earth and Moon?  I read that for Earth to Mars (Spirit
rover) it was something like 5-25 bps.  That's BITS boys and girls.   The guys and girls at NASA
have partners around the world with BIG dishes so they can communicate w/ the astronauts.
Adelaide, AU is one, might have one in India or Pakistan, Houston,TX and can't remember where the
rest are.  You must be able to point dishes at the Moon from mult.points due to rotation of Earth.
But you knew that didn't you?

I saw Jaywalking on the Tonight Show last night and all the id^^pedestrians didn't know who had
been to the Moon, how we got pictures from Mars (thought we sent guys up w/ cameras), and when we
last went to the Moon.  One nice lady thought it would be a cool trip to go to Pluto and Saturn.
Don't think she'd make it past Saturn though.  She thought since it is made of gas, that she could
pass right through.  Maybe after you were crushed in the gravity.   But it looks so small on TV.

>Anyone willing to invest? We could probably do it for less than five
>figures and a whole buncha technical know-how.
>
>We could rent webspace at http://www.servingfromthemoon.org/ and
>allow others to serve their sites from the moon, too. And even
>send email "from" the moon. Who has $9,000 to spare?

How do you get $9000 from 5 figures?  /me scratches head.  It might work up to the point that it
gets posted to Slashdot.org.

Brian Kelsay