Linux on the Desktop

Rick Franklin RAldenFranklin at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 28 18:36:09 CST 2004

Jonathan Hutchins wrote:

> One of the things I really value about Linux is that it's not a
> lowest-common-denominator, one-size-fits-all system.  It's a system
> for "power users", those people who enjoy understanding at least some
> of what is going on with their systems, who enjoy putting some serious
> time into getting them set up the way they like best.

Fortunately, it has not required any serious time to get SUSE 9.0 to
perform brilliantly on my desktop. The laptop, well, that was a slightly
different matter.
For those of us who are not computer gurus, and have not the time to
become computer gurus, it is great to have a distro work right out of
the box. It provides a quick escape from Microsoft dependence ... I
hardly ever boot to XP, and I can learn more about Linux (and make my
laptop happier) in my "spare" time without missing out on the enjoyment
of a functional desktop in the meantime. KCLUG has helped a great deal,
and I have never felt that anyone was trying to piss on me from a high
altitude for asking a simple question <evil grin>.

BTW, Jonathan, I did rebuild the rpm database on the Fedora laptop ... a
snap! ... thanks for your input! The next step is to install functional
media players. Everything else is working well in Fedora.

Linux is fun, even for this simple, OTR truck driver.