LTSP Advice

Becker, Rob becker at celeritas.com
Wed Jan 28 17:38:03 CST 2004

I have an LTSP setup running at home.
It's pretty cool stuff.
At this point, I am running over a 10M hub to a bunch of pentium
100's-133's.  I only have two or three clients up at any given time, but
my server is only a 750M Duron with 384M of RAM and a 20G IDE drive.
LTSP can work on laptops as well, I have tested it and had no problems
with a few Pentium laptops connecting to a PII-233 laptop.  I am fairly
familiar with the process of installing and building out an LTSP
network.  I am however a little behind on versions.  I have not worked
much with LTSP 4 (I think that is the latest).  As far as network
connectivity goes, you could do it wirelessly, but it is probably not
the best choice.  If I were trying wireless, I would make sure to do so
with 802.11 G in as perfect an environment as I could.  I would also
build out the server with multiple wireless cards and not share
bandwidth on just one.  This whole setup would likely get a bit tricky,
but I'm pretty sure it could be done.  LTSP is one of the coolest
technologies out there in my opinion.  It allows for a very robust
environment that is simple to manage.  I love being able to just patch
and maintain one server and get 3 free workstations to boot.  I also
love that I can provide word processing, internet browsing, email and
instant message along with a few games to my siblings for next to no
cost on machines that other people have just given me.  If your friend
is interested in looking into this further, I would love to help.
Please keep us posted on the list as to your progress.
Thanks.
Rob