DamnSmallLinux on Retro hardware

Brian Kelsay BLKELSAY at kcc.usda.gov
Wed Jan 28 14:52:11 CST 2004

>Naturally, the lack of a FPU prevented some of the DamnSmallLinux                >applications
from working, but you can probably find a 486SX FPU chip for  >the cost of postage, or just use a
486DX.

Not necessarily true.  I looked long and hard for a 387 chip a couple of yrs ago for a mobo that
needed one  and couldn't find the right one.  There were at least 2 types.  One had pins that go in
a socket straight and one, like I needed, had j-pins and it slipped inside a square socket w/ the
pins all around.  I gave up looking, but I did find a 287 in a computer store, still new in the
box.  They wanted at least $30 for it, and it might have been $40.  The PC isn't really worth that
anymore.  I still have a 286 that needs a 287, but also has a borked pwr supply.   On ebay you
don't always get what you think you are paying for.  I hate buying stuff without pictures.  I
bought a 233 thinking it would be a socket 7, p-I.  It turned out to be a slot 1, P-II.  Couldn't
even shoe-horn that in.

Now if someone has a P-I 233, I could still find a use for it, but I'm probably ready to give away
the 386.

Brian Kelsay