Linux-supported Wireless Networking deal in KC

Leo J Mauler webgiant at juno.com
Fri Jan 23 17:59:02 CST 2004

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 22:56:25 -0600 Gerald Combs <gerald at ethereal.com>
writes:
> Leo J Mauler wrote:
> > Update on the PCI Card: it uses the RealTek RTL8139
> > chipset.  Great news for binary distros, though the guy in
> > the HyperTech shop said it was a pain to do a compiled
> > distro--like his Gentoo--and have to compile
> > the RTL8139 chipset driver.
>
> Are you sure it's an RTL8139?  AFAIK, that's a fast
> Ethernet (i.e. not 802.11) chipset:
>
>      http://www.scyld.com/network/rtl8139.html

Hmmm.  I'm new to this wireless stuff so excellent point.  I have a few
10/100 NICs which also use the RTL8139, perhaps its a case of
underclocking the chipset (or perhaps thats a really stupid concept that
isn't even conceivable).

Well, I have a boxed Edimax wireless PCI NIC right here...<rips off
shrinkwrap>

Hmmm, you're right.  RTL8180L is the chipset.  That would be one of them
thar 802.11 chipsets, right?  :)

Well, I guess it goes to show that you should never take the word of the
guy in the computer store.  :)