Sensors

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Wed Jan 21 15:30:33 CST 2004

Brian Densmore wrote:
> [...]

I suspect one (or both) of the following:

- There are actually more than 8 bits of resolution.  For instance, 9
bits of all ones would potentially convert to 255.5 (511/2), pretty
close to the 255.4 seen above.

- The temperature mapping is not linear, and the value reported is a
result not only of the missing sensor, but of the math needed to turn
the low-level sensor reading into an actual temperature.  This is highly
likely, as the diodes typically used for temperature measurements have
an exponential response to temperature, which is usually compensated for
by software (where it's 'cheap') rather than hardware (which is expensive).

Of course, with the sensors code available, you could actually dig
around and see what's going on, if you really wanted...

--
Charles Steinkuehler
charles at steinkuehler.net