Parts/Inventory managment application

Carl Sappenfield CSAPPENFIELD at kc.rr.com
Tue Jan 13 00:12:06 CST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Charles Steinkuehler" <charles at steinkuehler.net>
To: <kclug at kclug.org>
Sent: Monday, January 12, 2004 4:19 PM
Subject: Parts/Inventory managment application

> I've got a simple project I'd like to keep track of parts and vendors
> for, which seems like a pretty simplistic setup for a small database.
>
> I'm just looking to keep track of ~100 part numbers, and quotes from
> multiple vendors (with various price-breaks) for those parts.
>
> I could probably hack something together in a few days, but it would be
> more effort than just using old-fashioned paper.  I figure someone else
> has probably had to do this, and could maybe save me some time.
>
> So...does anyone know of something like this I can run on linux?  I
> tried googling and searching freshmeat, but I mainly turned up
> full-blown accounting/erp type packages, which seems like massive
> overkill (ie: setting up the package alone would take longer than doing
> everything on paper), and several of these are non-free (as in speech
> and/or beer).
>
> I could pay some $$$, but so far the non-free (as in beer) programs I've
> found are in the 5 figure + range (ie: real accounting & erp), while my
> budget's more in the 2-3 figure range.
>
> --
> Charles Steinkuehler
> charles at steinkuehler.net

Maybe I'm missing the point, and don't really understand what you mean by
application, but why don't you just run something like MYSQLCC on top of
MySQL? (That would give you something like a powerful Access DB.)  You
wouldn't get any business logic, but it doesn't sound like you require much-
just a few tables, and a few queries, all of which you could set up
graphically.