Knoppix / lilo question...

Matt G linux at bizniche.com
Tue Jan 6 03:42:14 CST 2004

So, I turned out to be a huge embarassing failure when it comes to
installing debian correctly.  I haven't given up, but I'm stepping back, and
using Knoppix for a while, to learn more about how debian works.

Here is what I'm running into.  I've loving how knoppix looks.  Sexy.  I rad
the knx-kdinstall command, and it seemed to go fine.  I told it to go ahead
and install lilo etc etc...much like I did during a debian install.  What I
_don't_ see in the knoppix lilo install is the question about the special
bios hard drive mapping, for drives that aren't on the mainboard ide bus.
My hdd is on a pci ide controller card...the kind that come with hard drives
sometimes.  When I would install debian, if I told it to use that special
mapping, the next time I booted, rather than lilo, I get an infinite loop of
1010101010101.  If I told it _not_ to use that mapping, I get lilo working
correctly.

So, since the knoppix install doesn't ask that question, I'm guessing it's
using the mapping...so I get the 101010101.

Google seems to have lots of reports of this problem, but no solutions.  I'm
guessing it's just a lilo conf issue.  So, what if I did this:

Install knoppix to the hdd, boot to linux with a floppy, and then edit the
lilo conf to remove that mapping.  That sound right?  Problem is, I'm not
sure what that mapping is, looks like, where to look etc.

ANY ideas would be helpful.

Matt