How do I fix a monitor resolution problem?

rod rodbrenda at gbronline.com
Fri Jan 2 00:48:52 CST 2004

> On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 02:13:46PM -0600, Michael Shaw wrote:
  You need to get out of X, or boot without startx or a gui.

> Here are some ideas:
>
> 1. When you boot into Linux, if it doesn't hang during the boot process,
> do you get a graphical login screen? or do you boot run-level 3, log in
> and then startx? If you get a graphical screen, can you make out enough
> of the thing to get logged in and then OUT of X to a command prompt? Not
> through term window, but back to the command prompt. No X.

How about waiting till the boot process is finish then typing
"cntl-alt-backspace"  to kill X?
or
typing "cntl-alt-F2"  to jump to the second console login
("cntl-alt-F7" jumps to the first instance of X if it is running
"cntl-alt-F1  thru F5 are all console logins
but cntl-alt-F1 may be displaying many messages due to the startup of X)

my /etc/inittab file has the following lines:
# Default runlevel. The runlevels used by RHS are:
#   0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#   1 - Single user mode
#   2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have
networking)
#   3 - Full multiuser mode
#   4 - unused
#   5 - X11
#   6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
#
id:3:initdefault:

I boot to run level 3 and call X as needed with: startx