How do I fix a monitor resolution problem?

Greg Kedrovsky greg at iglesia-del-este.com
Thu Jan 1 21:03:54 CST 2004

On Thu, Jan 01, 2004 at 02:13:46PM -0600, Michael Shaw wrote:
> Thank you for the feedback.  It seems to me that in order to check for all
> the things you suggest it implys I have a functioning linux systems to to
> perform them.  A functioning linux system is what I don't have.  Am I
> missing something?

I think, if I understand the problem correctly, you need to boot
run-level 3, command prompt, and not run-level 5, gui. If the problem
resides in X, then run-level 5 is where you are encountering your
problems. You need to get out of X, or boot without startx or a gui.

Here are some ideas:

1. When you boot into Linux, if it doesn't hang during the boot process,
do you get a graphical login screen? or do you boot run-level 3, log in
and then startx? If you get a graphical screen, can you make out enough
of the thing to get logged in and then OUT of X to a command prompt? Not
through term window, but back to the command prompt. No X.

2. Did you make a boot disk when you installed RH9? Would that get you
to run-level 3? or 5?

3. How about the first install disk? Will that boot up and give you a
commando prompt?

If you can get the command prompt, you should be set to check out all
the stuff in that post.

-Greg

--
Mutt 1.4.1i on Slackware 9.1 Linux