How do I fix a monitor resolution problem?

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Thu Jan 1 23:09:50 CST 2004

On Thursday, January 01, 2004 02:05 pm, Joe Brouhard wrote:
> On Thu, 2004-01-01 at 12:56, Jonathan Hutchins wrote:
> > Don't you love hardware autodetection?  It makes life so much easier...

> Only when things *WORK*

I was being sarcastic...

This raises an interesting quetion though:  Do they ever work?  One of the
biggest problems with Windows 98 was that it would arbitrarily reconfigure
itself on start-up, often doing something wrong.  I've been concerned since I
first saw this behavior in Linux distributions that the same kind of
instability could occur, but every time _I've_ seen it happen, the system
asked me if I wanted to make changes, and didn't reconfigure without my
checking it's work.

On Thursday, January 01, 2004 01:27 pm, Greg Kedrovsky wrote:
> I agree. I used RedHat for about a year and continually had problems
> with its hardware detection (specifically in the area of ide and scsi
> drives).

I don't have any problems with the RedHat systems I run - 7.2 & 7.3 on three
boxes.  Then again, they're servers, and I don't go messing around with the
hardware very often.  I also don't reboot them very often.