Sponsorship

Tim Reid darkweb4 at gbronline.com
Tue Apr 13 21:42:21 CDT 2004

Zscoundrel wrote:

> I am not sure I see the need/benefit of this.  Perhaps you could
> describe what the benefits are to the list and what you would be getting
> out of this arrangement.
> Hal and Mike would be the people to make this call.  As far as I am
> concerned, things are fine the way they are.  Unless you can give us a
> clearer picture of what the list stands to gain, I can't see a crying
> need to make the change.
>
> Shayne Patton wrote:
>
>> I wonder if KCLUG does anything w/ sponsorship.  The contracting
>> business I and others are starting up would like to sponsor KCLUG.  If
>> this is a possibility please email me.  Is there someone in particular
>> I should speak w/ about this?  What do I need to do? etc. etc. etc.
>>
>> Our focus will be networking and security.  My particular focus will
>> be Linux/Windows integration on networks initially and later "ethical
>> cracker" if I'm up to it.  :)
>> Anyway, if anyone cares to check us out it's
>> www.white-tiger-security.com .  Site may experience slight uptime
>> fluctuations due to initial configurations/tweaks we're doing to it.
>> Universally,
>> Shayne

<disclaimer>
I don't know what Shayne Patton and his "White Tyger" group intend with
this offer.  Nor do I really intend for this comment to shade their
intentions.  I have some experiance with several other not-for-profit
volunter orgs, but I'm still a cub compared to most of the people on the
list.  Please keep this in mind.   IN SHORT: I probably should just keep
my @%%*& mouth shut.
</disclaimer>

Something I'm just compelled to say.  I love the anarchistic spirit of
kclug.  As Johnathan H. said, it works for kclug.  Therefore, I hesitate
when I see something that might limit, or otherwise effect, that free
spirit.  I had personal hesitations about kclug meeting in private
business space.  (This is not an opinion formed against those businesses
, but one formed against the use of private commerical space in general)

I have had prior experiances with two other not-for-profit orgs in which
unsolicited sponsorship was accepted.  In one case the sponsorship was
given to the group, afterwards a certain member of the group was granted
political influence directly due to the sponsorship.  In the other case,
the sponsorship seemed to simply be a tax writeoff for the sponsor.

I am not intending to start an intrigue on this subject.  Again, I don't
have the slightest knowlege of this "White Tiger" group.  I want people
to know about a worst case senario in this type of situation.  If
sponsorship is benifitial to the entire lug, I think that I would be for
sponsorship.  If sponsorship will not radicaly change the lug's
organization, I think that I would be for sponsorship.  If sponsorship
only effects the location of the server, I probably have no say anyways.
  I'm a frequent lurker, and an infrequent poster on the list and in the
meetings, but I still care enough to ask that we be careful.  That is all.

I will now dig out my flame-retardant jumper, and prepare to say: "Oh
shit! What have I done?!"

Thanks,

Tim