Electricity: Ground?

James Sissel James.Sissel at labone.com
Tue Sep 16 13:47:06 CDT 2003

I would strongly advise against using the Neutral as a ground wire
substitute.  Yes, both the Neutral and Ground run back to the same place in
the panel.  However!, the Neutral wire is carrying current (the "return"
path of the Hot wire) and should it break becomes hot itself.  I would also
advise against the practice of wrapping a wire around a water pipe and using
it as the ground.  If something goes wrong you can energize your entire
plumbing system.  Ground in modern systems is nothing to fool around with.
Do it properly.