Electricity: Ground?

James Sissel James.Sissel at labone.com
Tue Sep 16 13:42:10 CDT 2003

My house was built in the mid-50s and passed inspection.  It had no ground
wires in any of the outlets and the older plugs that didn't let you know
which one was the hot wire.  I immediately rewired.

Without the ground wire the surge protection will not work properly, if at
all.  If you use an adapter and flip the plug the neutral wire becomes hot.

If you really want to protect your electronics install at least one proper
grounded outlet in the home.