Comcast faster speeds on the horizon

Paul Taylor paul at kcnetcare.com
Fri Sep 12 19:26:32 CDT 2003

Time Warner Cable / Road Runner loads a configuration file in your cable
modems (a bridge). That configuration file limits you to 2Mpbs download
and 384Kbps upload.

In fact, Time Warner Cable systems in the KC Metro area can support speeds
up to 10 Mbps (maybe even faster) per household if you configure it right
(you may go to prison for it).

I've done extensive upload and download tests with Comcast, Time Warner
Cable, SBC DSL, Birch Telecom DSL, Covad DSL, Sprint Business DSL, and
Sprint ION.

Only one carrier did not cap their access connection and that was Sprint
Business DSL and ION.

Unless Road Runner feels like giving away bps or they're changing their
policy then I doubt you're getting it.

Cable and telephone companies usually only guarantee a much lower amount.
For example, I just talked to a Road Runner customer service rep. and per
this representative RR guarantees minimum 128Kbps upload and 384Kbps
download "but you'll never get speeds that low."

Cheers,
Paul