Printing to NT from CUPS (Mandrake)

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Fri May 30 19:33:25 CDT 2003

It looks like Mandrake's printer setup wizard is adding a FQDN to the Netbios
name of the printers when it set up a printer serverd on a remote NT/SMB box.

In /etc/cups/printers.conf, you should see

Device URI
smb://username:password@WORKGROUP/WINDOWSNETBIOSNAME/printersharename

You can manually add the printer with

lpadmin -p winprinter -v
smb://username:password@WORKGROUP/WINDOWSNETBIOSNAME/printersharename
-P /etc/cups/ppd/<ppd name>

So only about six weeks to get that worked out, and that's pretty much the
last bit.  Mandrake is now my full-time environment with the exception of my
DeLorme and GPS software.

I don't have my odball wireless card working under Linux yet, and there's
another workstation that won't run KDE, but it's running Gnome ok.

I still have to migrate the Exchange address book to LDAP.  Got some of it
migrated, but lost a lot of entries.

After that, I'll set up a real mailserver with good spam filtering, and the
Exchange/NT box can go away for good; we'll be a 99% Linux network.