OpenOffice build on Gentoo / Determining how long it will take?

Steven Elling ellings at kcnet.com
Wed May 28 19:07:23 CDT 2003

On Friday 23 May 2003 11:14, Brian Densmore wrote:
> PS. Anyone ever times the openoffice build in Gentoo?

I timed the build of OpenOffice on Gentoo yesturday using the following
command:

time emerge -Du openoffice

The build of version OpenOffice 1.0.3-r1 completed today and time spit out
the following:

real    844m6.053s
user    704m12.660s
sys     31m30.340s

Overall, the build of OpenOffice on my system (Athlon 900 MHz) took 14 hours
4 minutes and 6.053 seconds.

I would think a good way to determine how long a build will take on your
system is to divide a bogomips seconds factor by the bogomips from
/proc/cpuinfo ( x / bogomips = time ) then throw in a fudge factor of 10%.
Any thoughts anyone?

The bogomips seconds factor could be determined by compiling OpenOffice on
several systems using the time command to record the amount of time it
takes, calculating the bogomips seconds factor for each system using the
formula "time * bogomips = x" and then averaging the numbers.

On my system, the bogomips are 1782.57 so the bogomips seconds factor for
OpenOffice would be 50646.053 seconds * 1782.57 bogomips = 90280134.6962
bogomips seconds.

Using the bogomips seconds factor from above, my laptop should take
90280134.6962 bogomips seconds / 730.72 bogomips = 123549.5602 seconds (34
hours 19 minutes and 9.5602 seconds) +- 10%.  I'll find out how long it
actually takes sometime in the next week because I'm currently updating
Gentoo on it.