Mail Handlers

Jason Munro jason at stdbev.com
Tue May 27 15:54:06 CDT 2003

On May 27, 10:11 am Jonathan Hutchins <hutchins at tarcanfel.org> wrote:

> I also like the idea that there's a server that allows mail accounts
> without the need to set up shell accounts.  That would be nice for
> multi-homed systems where I'd like to pass out mailboxes for members but
> don't want the hassle of shell accounts.
>
> Discussion/suggestions?  I'll be pulling mail in with fetchmail from my
> "real" servers.

I have had good success with qmail-ldap and courier-imap (not the courier
MTA but just the IMAP server). Courier Maildirs are blazingly fast, and
once qmail is installed (hehe) management is a breeze. Courier can
authenticate using the usual methods, (pam, shadow, etc) but can also use
accounts based in ldap or mysql. qmail-ldap and courier auth'ed to ldap
makes for a nice centrally controled mail system without the need for user
accounts. My lkml IMAP folder is over 20,000 messages and loads quite
speedily (even in my webmail client).

<plug>

Gotta take every opportunity to plug my soon to be released PHP webmail
IMAP/SMTP client, eh? :)

http://hastymail.sourceforge.net/

</plug>

HTH