Stop top posting, please.

L. Adrian Griffis adrian at nerds.org
Fri May 23 13:11:44 CDT 2003

On Thu, 22 May 2003, Kurt wrote:
> That sure didnt come out condecending or anything.
> Perhaps the net has changed in the last couple o'
> years or so?

I hate to say it, Kurt, but "things have changed" is
almost always the argument that younger people offer
as an excuse for not caring about common courtesy.
Like you, I don't really like being on the receiving
end of condescension, but turn the situation around
and think about how you would respond, if you were
in my position.  I learned some rules of common
courtesy, when I was younger, and I learned that there
were reasons for those rules.  Over time, over time,
newcomers to the Internet Community have tended to
drive down the attention paid to these standards of
courtesy.  I could get mad about it, or I could simply
keep in mind that we all start off with no builtin
rules for courtesy to others;  We all gain those rules
as we grow up and are socialized.  There really is a
correlation between youth and a lack of consideration
to the effects one's actions have on others.  It will
always be this way because none of us are born with
this this tendency to consider other people built in.

I'm sorry, Kurt, but you sound really young.  There's
no shame in that, but if it offends you to have it
pointed out, maybe you shouldn't say, "I don't want
to hear about your silly old rules," as much.

Adrian