eth0 not staying configured

Jim Herrmann kclug at ItDepends.com
Fri May 16 06:50:20 CDT 2003

Some messages from the log at boot up time:

May 14 01:34:42 lou kernel: Linux Tulip driver version 0.9.15-pre12 (Aug 9, 2002)
May 14 01:34:42 lou insmod: /lib/modules/2.4.21-0.13mdk/kernel/drivers/net/tulip/tulip.o.gz:
init_module: No such device
May 14 01:34:42 lou insmod: Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
including invalid IO or IRQ parameters. You may find more information in syslog or the output from
dmesg
May 14 01:34:42 lou modprobe: modprobe: insmod eth0 failed

So, it appears that it is trying to bring up the network, but failing.
The tulip driver appears to be a driver for a lot of things, and it
works fine when it is run later by the network setup.

And the info about the network card:

Vendor: ?Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
Bus: ?PCI
Bus identification: ?1039:900
Location on the bus: ?0:1:1
Module: ?sis900
Media class: ?NETWORK_ETHERNET

file:/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
DEVICE=eth0
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
ONBOOT=yes
MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=yes
NEEDHOSTNAME=yes

Which is exactly the same as the one on my machine.

Still looking,
Jim