eth0 not staying configured

Matthew Freeland matthew at mfreeland.net
Wed May 14 22:16:56 CDT 2003

I used to use mandrake and had the same network problem that you are.  I
managed to fix it by writing a script that modprobes the network card driver
at boot.  Since you say you're pretty dependant on the gui tools, i'll give
you the commands you need:

touch network_load
echo "modprobe <insert name of your nic driver here>" >> network_load
chmod a+x network_load
cp network_load /etc/init.d/

Now, when you next reboot, it should work.  The tricky part will be finding
the name of you nic driver.  You might be able to find it by looking through
your /etc/modules.conf text file or in the /proc/modules text file.  Good
luck.