RH 8.0

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Sat May 10 18:17:47 CDT 2003

Quoting numa at thenuma.com:

> This is the deal, with debian, things either work, or they don't.  With
> Mandrake things that don't work now, may start the next time you reboot,
> and then stop working after a few minutes.  Things may panic the kernel.
> After a dozen or so reboots, usually after slowly removing devices, till
> it's just one drive, mainboard, ram and chip, things can start working
> again.  But be wary of anything that "autoconfigures".

Both RedHat and Mandrake have started running a hardware detection deamon at
startup that's supposed to make handling new hardware easier.  When you yank a
whole motherboard on it, especially if it has embedded devices, it can really
get confused.  As bad as Windows sometimes.

I don't recall at the moment what the utility is in mandrake - it may be
"harddrake", it may be something else.  Look for the stage in the boot process
where it says something like "starting hardware autodetect" and/or "starting
interactive boot process".

If you can find the man page for the utility, there's an easy way to purge the
old entries and re-scan everything.  That should let you get by with one or
two reboots rather than the problems you describe.

Also, you should make sure you boot to text mode the first time after a major
reconfig, just to be safe.  If everything works, you can start X manually and
make sure it's OK.