RH 8.0

numa at thenuma.com numa at thenuma.com
Fri May 9 18:26:38 CDT 2003

Yeah, I used to LOVE mandrake 9.  And then I decided to do something
stupid.  I switched mainboards.  Be warned.  Unlike more predictable OS,
like debian, when mandrake starts to come apart, it can spin out of
control into a module laden hell.  Granted, the machine was
overcomplicated, and it was absolutely my fault.  However, I can deal with
debian, gentoo etc where I have absolute control over what gets loaded.
With mandrake, if you start to change too mnay things at once, all hell
can break loose.  Mine got confused by network cards, hard drives, sound,
video differnent usb controllers...  it went berzerk.

This is the deal, with debian, things either work, or they don't.  With
Mandrake things that don't work now, may start the next time you reboot,
and then stop working after a few minutes.  Things may panic the kernel.
After a dozen or so reboots, usually after slowly removing devices, till
it's just one drive, mainboard, ram and chip, things can start working
again.  But be wary of anything that "autoconfigures".

Sounds like windows doesn't it?

Kris