Job discussion continued.

L. Adrian Griffis adrian at nerds.org
Tue May 6 23:24:49 CDT 2003

On Tue, 6 May 2003, Paul Taylor wrote:
> It's a weird medium for a LUG list but a lot of people could benefit.
> Plus, I'm going to learn more about linux from people I hang with than
> reading obscure How-To's in my pajamas late a night. That's why I'm going
> to some of these meetings. I figure I can learn more linux by rubbing
> elbows with people and maybe give some people opportunity to make money.
>
> The only reason I have customers (prior to advertising) is their previous
> "computer" people had:
> 1) poor communication skills
> 2) terrible customer service
> 3) people who take on too much and prove they're incompetent
>
> I am personally going to meet anyone before I talk about refering
> business. Non-compete agreements are going to be signed.

I would advise everyone on the list to be very careful about
non-compete agreements.  You should always be careful about
them, even where you have a full time job.  It's reasonable for
an agent to expect you to work through him in those specific
cases where he introduces you to the client in question, and
even then, such an agreement should be limited to no more
than a year beyond the date of introduction or the last day
that you work with the client through the agent.  You should
consider carefully what "the client" means;  If the agent gives
you a lead on a specific IBM contract in KC and it doesn't work
out, does that mean you can't work for IBM anywhere for a year?
If you are introduced to Company A by the agent, what relationships
with Company B would make your non-compete agreement exclude you
from working for Company B?  What if Company A is a wholly owned
subsidiary of Company B?  What if B owns a controlling interest
in A?  Consider limiting the non-compete agreement to the
opportunity, and not letting it extend to the entire company
or family of companies.

While some kinds of non-compete agreements are reasonable and
are even customary in the consulting business, it's very easy
to get trapped into very bad situations if you are careless
about them.  I wouldn't reject the idea of a non-compete
agreement, outright (and in fact, I've been comfortable signing
a few of them), but I have seen some of my fellow consultants
get into some surprisingly bad situations with them.  Be careful.

Adrian