Linux PVR

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Wed Jun 18 19:53:26 CDT 2003

Quoting gphillip at kaiser.aafp.org:

> I have a PIII 800 with RedHat 7.3 .  It was simple to watch TV with the
> card.    You just fire up xawtv, the card was recognized just immediately.
>
> Recording was a little tougher.  I installed nvrec.  That was a little bit
> of a challange to set up.  My PC seemed to be fast enough to record.  If
> bumped the quality up to 100%, it would start to get choppy.

We had similar trouble getting DVD playback at full screen/full quality on a
750MHz machine a couple of years ago (bleeding edge).  In fact, I still have
the AGI All-In-Wonder 128 PCI card we used if anyone's interested in it.

I think we've heard from some people who have done full-screen, full quality
capture and playback - with processors available that are three times as fast,
is a single-CPU unit enough these days?  How much CPU do you need for
full-speed, full-screen video processing?