Linux PVR

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Wed Jun 18 16:31:17 CDT 2003

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003, Matt G wrote:

> I also have a WinTV card, though I've not used it in linux yet.  Was it
> tough to setup?

I use the video4linux system interface provided through the kernel.  All
applications seem to use that with no fuss.

> Does your system have to be pretty high-end to record tv shows?  I tried the
> video capture with the WinTV card in Windows and it was aweful.  Whats the
> video quality of your captures?

I suppose you could do this from a 486 if you want.  And have a high speed
hard drive.

When I use a P166 for recording, the limiting factor seems to be the hard
drive speed and memory.  Since the processor cannot encode fast enough, or
write to disk fast enough, it takes about 10 seconds of full screen high
quality video to chew up its 64MB of memory.

I suppose today's computers have no problems encoding mpeg streams on the
fly.

--
http://dattaway.org