The List has returned!

Frank Wiles frank at wiles.org
Thu Jul 31 15:49:56 CDT 2003

On Thu, 31 Jul 2003 10:05:06 -0500
mike neuliep <mike at marauder.illiana.net> wrote:

> To ALL:
>
> On July 25th, one of the junior admins thought it would be really need
> to prove to me that he could get sendmail and qmail installed on the
> same box and running silmutaneously.  While he was sucessful and that
> and I was mildly impressed, he broke many applications when he did
> this, one of them being the listserv that hosts the kclug list.  I
> apologize for this incident.
>
> With all this said and done, in the ISP industry, what are people's
> views of the age old sendmail vs qmail arguement.  I'm specifically
> interested in seeing what people have to say about anything that makes
> sendmail superior to qmail.

  For me the problem is the license of qmail.  I prefer to work with
  Open Source software. And by that I don't mean just that I can see
  the software, but that I'm free ( as a commercial entity or
  otherwise ) to basically do whatever I want with it.

  Also, the days when Sendmail was a big security risk are pretty much
  gone.  Yes I will admit it has had a checkered past, but honestly
  how many Sendmail specific security holes have there been in the
  last year?