Swapping Drives...

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Mon Jul 21 17:24:20 CDT 2003

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003, Matt G wrote:

> So, I have my little server running running with these specs:
>
> 233mhz amd k6, 32mb ram, 4gb hdd, pretty minimal debian install.
>
> I have a 15gb hdd I want to use for this, mostly for user account space etc.
> So, what should I do to add it?
>
> Is this the kind of thing where I should just mirror the 4gb drive onto
> the 15gb drive, and then remove the 4gb?  Or can I add the 15, and tell
> /home/whatever to be on the 15 somewhere?  Then move all the
> /home/whatever stuff from the 4gb drive to the 15 and leave all 4gb for
> system stuff.

First step is to put the  drive on the IDE  (or SCSI)  bus.   I usually do
this with the power off,  but if you don't mind  rolling the dice with SRC
latchup and resetting the controller with hdparm, it can be done without a
reboot.

Next you can mount this drive  anywhere in your  filesystem tree you wish.
Just make a directory,  then mount it there.   But if you mount it onto an
existing directory with  files in it,  they will  "vanish"  underneath the
mount point until you  unmount it.   Pretty  cool if you just  want to try
stuff out.

You can mount,  unmount,  or remount in  different  locations  to see what
works on a currently running file system.  Just be careful when doing this
in the /bin, /lib, /sbin, /usr/bin,  /usr/sbin,  /usr/lib,  /etc, and /var
directories.  The /home directories are fair game.

Then cp your files and directories around to organize them.  That's it!

--
http://dattaway.org