Swapping Drives...

Matt G linux at bizniche.com
Mon Jul 21 17:33:13 CDT 2003

Thanks for your reply Duane.

> First step is to put the  drive on the IDE  (or SCSI)  bus.   I usually do
> this with the power off,  but if you don't mind  rolling the dice with SRC
> latchup and resetting the controller with hdparm, it can be done without a
> reboot.

Sounds fun.  I'll probably shut it down.  Knowing my luck with Hardware, I'd
blow up the neighborhood trying the hotswap way.  Heh.    Do I need to
format it any certain way before I put the drive in the machine?  It's
coming from a windows machine, so it'll be formatted fat32 I guess.  I
indend on dropping the partitions that are there now, and then formatting.

> Next you can mount this drive  anywhere in your  filesystem tree you wish.
> Just make a directory,  then mount it there.   But if you mount it onto an
> existing directory with  files in it,  they will  "vanish"  underneath the
> mount point until you  unmount it.   Pretty  cool if you just  want to try
> stuff out.

So, I'd make a dir /home/me/temp and mount it there...  copy all my stuff
from /home/* to /home/me/temp, and then remount it as /home/ with my fstab.
That's the idea?

> You can mount,  unmount,  or remount in  different  locations  to see what
> works on a currently running file system.  Just be careful when doing this
> in the /bin, /lib, /sbin, /usr/bin,  /usr/sbin,  /usr/lib,  /etc, and /var
> directories.  The /home directories are fair game.

This is the kind of stuff that makes me love linux.  Just seems like the
right way to do things.

Thanks,
Matt