compile farm distro

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Tue Jul 15 22:21:10 CDT 2003

On Tuesday 15 July 2003 02:28 pm, David Holland wrote:

> Is there a win32 version of something like this?

Yes.  It will cost you several thousand dollars.  Don't even think about it.

> I've been trying to
> install Gentoo + KDE on my 550MHz notebook and 'emerge kde' has taken
> over 30 hours.

Well duh.  That's what Gentoo is all about, proudly grinding out the compile
times so you can say your a Real Linux Man.  If you're not into suffering for
the cause, it's not for you.*

Download a standard distribution - Mandrake, RedHat, Debian, or SuSE, in that
order, burn the CD's and boot from them.  You'll be up and running in less
than three hours, possibly less than two.  When you consider that this
includes software that would take most of two days to a week to install on a
windows box, you're way ahead.  Besides which, you get to keep the Windows
installation until you're really ready to cut the apron strings and put
several solid days into configuring stuff and learning how to use the new
platform.

*Disclaimer:  Actually, there are shortcuts to installing Gentoo, but it's
really not for first-time Linux users, and taking the shortcuts does kindof
beg the point.  Run a standardised distribution and you'll find
documentation, support, and additional programs all over the web.