[ot] Chicago

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Thu Jul 10 01:32:55 CDT 2003

Charles Steinkuehler wrote:

> My wife and I love doing any of the various AIA (architectural) tours.
> We typically like to stay at the Plamer House Hilton (you can usually
> get good weekend specials), which happens to be just across the street
> from Carson Piere Scott, a fun old-fashoned department store (more than
> worth a visit if you like shopping).
>
> We also try to get to the botanical gardens whenever we make it to
> Chicago...it's in the suburbs, but you can take a train there if you're
> willing to walk about 1/2 a mile from the train stop to the garden
> entrance.  We never rent a car, and always take the train from the
> airport to downtown (faster & cheaper than a cab).  For wandering around
> downtown, just hop on the Ell.
>
> If you don't mind gaining a few pounds, you can visit Uno's (the
> original, quite different from the chain stores that have been poping
> up) and/or Eli's (make sure you get the cheesecake mushed together with
> ice cream!)...and there's the Russian Tea Room for something a bit more
> out of the ordinary.
>
> For touristy stuff, the Sears tower is pretty awesome, and if you're
> there durring business hours, the commodities trading floor is pretty
> amazing to watch.  Then there's the art museum, the aquarium, etc, all
> of which is pretty much worth doing at least once.
>
> Have fun!!!

Sounds like Ferris Bueller's Day Off!!  In that movie they pretty much
do the town.  And it took place in Chicago.  I've only been there on
business and got to see the industrial (South) end of town.  Everybody
was nice though.  Very mid-western.  If you fly in like I did, go to the
Midway airport as it is way less busy.
Brian