[ot] Chicago

Charles Steinkuehler charles at steinkuehler.net
Wed Jul 9 21:35:25 CDT 2003

Jason Clinton wrote:
> I'm going on vacation to Chicago next week and am wondering if anyone
> here has any good or bad experiences with tourist-type things they may
> have visited in that area or on way. Anyone have any recommendations for
> things to visit?

My wife and I love doing any of the various AIA (architectural) tours.
We typically like to stay at the Plamer House Hilton (you can usually
get good weekend specials), which happens to be just across the street
from Carson Piere Scott, a fun old-fashoned department store (more than
worth a visit if you like shopping).

We also try to get to the botanical gardens whenever we make it to
Chicago...it's in the suburbs, but you can take a train there if you're
willing to walk about 1/2 a mile from the train stop to the garden
entrance.  We never rent a car, and always take the train from the
airport to downtown (faster & cheaper than a cab).  For wandering around
downtown, just hop on the Ell.

If you don't mind gaining a few pounds, you can visit Uno's (the
original, quite different from the chain stores that have been poping
up) and/or Eli's (make sure you get the cheesecake mushed together with
ice cream!)...and there's the Russian Tea Room for something a bit more
out of the ordinary.

For touristy stuff, the Sears tower is pretty awesome, and if you're
there durring business hours, the commodities trading floor is pretty
amazing to watch.  Then there's the art museum, the aquarium, etc, all
of which is pretty much worth doing at least once.

Have fun!!!

/me - turns green with envy

--
Charles Steinkuehler