OT: IDE issues

Steven Elling ellings at kcnet.com
Tue Jul 8 01:06:31 CDT 2003

On Monday 07 July 2003 09:04, Phoenician wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I was helping a friend build a pc this weekend. He has new parts.
> During the overall installation we ran into an odd situation, when we
> plugged in his IDE cable into his motherboard  then into his device(s)
> he lost power to those devices.  Unplug the IDE, power was restored.
> Has anyone else ever run into this?  For what it's worth the hardware
> involved
> is a new Intel D875PBZ, and 120 Gb HD and a Samsung CDRW/DVD.

Some older systems were particular to where you put the master and slave
drives on the same cable.  I've had systems that would not power up the
drives if they were not in the right order.  You may be having the same
problem.

Try putting the master on the outside and the slave on the inside of the IDE
cable.

I always use the rule "Master Out. Slave In."