OT: IDE issues

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Mon Jul 7 14:35:24 CDT 2003

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003, Phoenician wrote:

> I was helping a friend build a pc this weekend. He has new parts.
> During the overall installation we ran into an odd situation, when we
> plugged in his IDE cable into his motherboard  then into his device(s)
> he lost power to those devices.  Unplug the IDE, power was restored.
> Has anyone else ever run into this?  For what it's worth the hardware
> involved
> is a new Intel D875PBZ, and 120 Gb HD and a Samsung CDRW/DVD.

The way you describe that, it sounds like you are hotswapping a harddrive?
Do you mean that the hard drive fails to start spinning when the computer
is turned on?  Many of the new larger hard drives require special
controllers to physically map the larger medium.  Since the number of pins
used to select the address and data lines stay the same, they might not be
compatible with the older controllers.  The 160GB drive I got came with
its own controller and works like a champ.

--
http://dattaway.org