trying to install a module

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Thu Jul 3 16:35:06 CDT 2003

Quoting Steven Elling <ellings at kcnet.com>:

> It is unfortunate that Redhat has made it to where TLDP (www.tldp.org) can't
> be used for their distribution of Linux.  In my opinion, Redhat being the
> way they are also makes Linux as a whole look bad to the new, potential and
> non-technical users.  Of course, I haven't used Redhat since 5.1 so I
> observe what others say about Redhat and what problems they have.

Whatever color your hat may be, Steve, you're talkin' through it.

I've used RedHat since around release 2, and almost EVERYTHING that I've done
successfully I've done using HOWTO's that have become part of TLDP.  One of
the reasons I use TLDP is that most of the HOWTO's there are either oriented
toward RedHat systems or include specific instructions regarding RedHat.  Most
of the current HOWTO's include specific info, where necessary, about Mandrake.

Documentation at other sites (the ones that begin "start by recompiling the
kernel to accept keyboard input") have been real nightmares, but TLDP has been
consistently RedHat friendly.

Thankfully, most of the TLDP HOWTO's do NOT tell you how to configure
something with some GUI util - I've had many frustrations with RedHat and
Mandrake documentation that only used the GUI tools.  That's a real pain when
one of the things you don't have working is the GUI!

One of my favorite HOWTO's even includes multiple releases of RedHat - I know
it goes back to 6.2, it might go back to 5.1!

So really, tell us something you know about, not something that's clearly
outside your realm of experience.  You tried 5.1, it didn't do what you
wanted, you ditched it for something else and never went back.  Obviously
you're not the guy to ask about RedHat systems!