Closed Circuit Video on Linux

Jared Smith jared at trios.org
Thu Feb 27 15:41:21 CST 2003

While the cool gadgety aspect of video between rooms is
unbeatable, it's not necessary, and comes with some real
limitations in transmitting real-time information accurately.
I think it will definitely 'flavor' the music if it is
recorded in a virtual bubble, just like vacuum tubes
are the only _proper_ way to amplify sound.

If you simply double-pane with very thick glass, and allow air
to circulate freely between the panes, sound will not be
transmitted between the two rooms. Sound _would_ be transmitted
if the glass were sealed, but if air can move freely, and both
panes are quite thick so they're only affected by low frequencies,
you will effectively reduce sound vibrations between the
two panes to nothing.

This can be done for about the same price as any decent video
solution, and will be less prone to technical breakdown.

I just sent an e-mail to an acquaintance who has designed
several professional recording studios and is a notable expert
on audio. I'll forward his response when it arrives.

-Jared