Redhat

zscoundrel zscoundrel at kc.rr.com
Thu Feb 27 02:59:37 CST 2003

I did not comment on this thread when the first smoldering post went out
because - well - it was a silly point of contention.

Being upset with RedHat because there is a learning curve it silly.
They are not courting the newby.  They are trying to lower the learning
curve and I applaud them for this.  Unfortunately there will always be
whining because the learning curve for ALL computing is fairly steep.

For instance, the dreaded Microsoft did NOT start out in hot pursuit of
the rank and file 'newbie'.  They first targeted computer hobbyists,
small businesses and technical types.  They didn't really even try for
total market control until they had a simple GUI and more or less (for
the time) intuitive GUI.

By the way, that took what, 10 years from the first DOS on an IBM PC to
'doze 3.1.  Before that, you had better be pretty knowledgeable and
willing to dig deep into the OS (and BASIC!) to get anything done that
didn't come from Redmond.

Earlier I said the point was silly, and this is why.  He is more or less
BLAMING RedHat because he is not yet able run a game.  Sure it may be a
bit difficult to do this particular thing on that particular platform as
quickly as he would like.  But that is only part of the silliness.

What would he think if RedHat came out and said "No, we don't want you
to be able to run that game on our software."  M$ does this all the time
and nobody says ANYTHING about it.  All RedHat did was not support a
particular combination of software and hardware as FAST as he would like.

I use RedHat for my desktop and love it.  Some times things require a
little more work to get them configured than I would like, but the fact
that I CAN configure more than just the desktop background and icon
arrangement makes any difficulties more than worth while.

--
A marble traveling at 22,000 miles per hour would strike with as
much force as a 400-pound safe traveling at just 60 miles per hour.