Redhat

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Thu Feb 27 00:24:18 CST 2003

Quoting numa at thenuma.com:

> I am not suggesting that users like us give up anything.  A
> fundamental
> flaw of many linux advocates is that they think the world is a
> Zero-Sum
> game.  The existence of Linux toasters does not exclude from this
> world
> Linux swiss army knives.

The problem is that the idiot-proof toaster is one of those "the last
10% of the work takes 90% of the effort" situations.  It's the small
refinements that make the toaster idiot-proof.  (Having operated a
toaster which did one side at a time where the toast rack had to be
turned over manually, I can say this goes beyond the metaphoric level.)

These are also the area where the Linux development community has
proven weakest.  It seems that only the commercially backed projectes -
distributions like RedHat - ever get around to putting the finishing
touches on something and documenting it properly (if even they bother
to do so).

I would rather see the effort directed toward getting a decent end-user
experience without really having to dig into the system directed at
a "power user" than at a generic "dummy".

I think the results of going for the "power user" look more like
RedHat, and going for the "dummy" looks like Lindows.