Adding another win partition...

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Sat Feb 15 03:47:06 CST 2003

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, Matt Graham wrote:

> So...since those are already installed, is there a good way to add a 98
> partition?  I have an extra drive (4gb, not doing anything) that I could
> use.)  That way I wouldn't have to mess with using partition magic
> (which hosed my grub boot last time.)
> I got a new HDD right after that, and wanted more space for Linux, so I
> used 20gb of the new HDD and reinstalled.  Now, I see no reason to keep
> the old install of linux, and could easily drop those partitions and
> reclaim my gigs.  However, since it was the original install of linux,
> and it's still in my grub listing, I'm wondering if the boot files
> reside there...  If I drop that old linux partition, do you think it
> will bung my current system?

It depends where you have grub installed.  It installs in stages.  The
first would be your master boot record.  That's the first sectors your
computer sees when booting.  That little code brings up the next stage of
grub, wherever it was set up.

More would be found in the grub installation instructions.  I haven't had
to deal with Windows since 95, so my experience might not work for your
case.  There are many great windows+grub+HOWTOs out there.

--
"It is the duty of a patriot to protect his country from its government"
-Thomas Paine