new gentoo install - USE variables

Duane Attaway dattaway at dattaway.org
Sun Feb 2 02:03:37 CST 2003

On Sat, 1 Feb 2003, Brian Kelsay wrote:

> I'm part way into my new gentoo install and I'm not sure of what I'm doing.
> I am inside the new Gentoo on the PC and I am in nano ready to set compile
> variables.   This is Gentoo 1.4 rc2 on a Pent. II 333 with a LX chipset
> board (pre BX), 256MB Ram, 20GB HDD, ATI Rage Pro 2x AGP 8MB, 3Com 905 Nic
> and a Creative ES137x sound card.   As you can see it's nothing fancy, but a
> spare box.   I want to try out some different window managers on this so I
> have included the gnome and kde specific flags and stuff for multimedia, but
> do I really need all this stuff in there?   If no, what do I really need?
>
> Here is the USE line I have so far:
>
> USE="X gtk gnome -alsa acpi apm arts bonobo cdr crypt cups dvd encode fbcon
> gb gd gdbm gif gphoto2 gtkhtml imap imlib java jikes jpeg kde ldap libgda
> libwww mbox mmx motif mozilla mpeg mysql ncurses oav odbc oggvorbis opengl
> pam pda perl png python qt quicktime readline samba sasl scanner sdl slang
> slp spell ssl svga tcltk tcpd tiff truetype usbxface xml xml2 xmms xv zlib
> x86"

You are pretty much including everything.

Here's a list of your options the gentoo dealer will outfit your new shiny
car with:

http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/use-index.xml

You can change these later to fit your ever changing preferences.  A
negative sign in front will disable that feature.

Might I suggest to emerge mplayer sometime.  It will let you play every
multimedia file known so far, including dvd's, wmv, mpeg, quicktime,
etc...  Also, I prefer phoenix over mozilla.  Mozilla is a whale and
phoenix is an agile killer whale without that fat.

--
Why drive a car when you can ride a bike?
http://dattaway.org                 http://counter.li.org   user #142150