new gentoo install - USE variables

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Sun Feb 2 01:48:54 CST 2003

I'm part way into my new gentoo install and I'm not sure of what I'm doing.
I am inside the new Gentoo on the PC and I am in nano ready to set compile
variables.   This is Gentoo 1.4 rc2 on a Pent. II 333 with a LX chipset
board (pre BX), 256MB Ram, 20GB HDD, ATI Rage Pro 2x AGP 8MB, 3Com 905 Nic
and a Creative ES137x sound card.   As you can see it's nothing fancy, but a
spare box.   I want to try out some different window managers on this so I
have included the gnome and kde specific flags and stuff for multimedia, but
do I really need all this stuff in there?   If no, what do I really need?

Here is the USE line I have so far:

USE="X gtk gnome -alsa acpi apm arts bonobo cdr crypt cups dvd encode fbcon
gb gd gdbm gif gphoto2 gtkhtml imap imlib java jikes jpeg kde ldap libgda
libwww mbox mmx motif mozilla mpeg mysql ncurses oav odbc oggvorbis opengl
pam pda perl png python qt quicktime readline samba sasl scanner sdl slang
slp spell ssl svga tcltk tcpd tiff truetype usbxface xml xml2 xmms xv zlib
x86"

The real question is: Do I need to put every flag in there for each function
I might want to use later?
Brian