new gentoo install - USE variables

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Sun Feb 2 02:13:09 CST 2003

> On Sat, 1 Feb 2003, Brian Kelsay wrote:
>
> > I'm part way into my new gentoo install and I'm not sure of what I'm
doing.
> > I am inside the new Gentoo on the PC and I am in nano ready to set
compile
> > variables.   This is Gentoo 1.4 rc2 on a Pent. II 333 with a LX chipset
> > board (pre BX), 256MB Ram, 20GB HDD, ATI Rage Pro 2x AGP 8MB, 3Com 905
Nic
> > and a Creative ES137x sound card.   As you can see it's nothing fancy,
but a
> > spare box.   I want to try out some different window managers on this so
> > have included the gnome and kde specific flags and stuff for multimedia,
but
> > do I really need all this stuff in there?   If no, what do I really
need?

> > Here is the USE line I have so far:
> >
> > USE="X gtk gnome -alsa acpi apm arts bonobo cdr crypt cups dvd encode
fbcon
> > gb gd gdbm gif gphoto2 gtkhtml imap imlib java jikes jpeg kde ldap
libgda
> > libwww mbox mmx motif mozilla mpeg mysql ncurses oav odbc oggvorbis
opengl
> > pam pda perl png python qt quicktime readline samba sasl scanner sdl
slang
> > slp spell ssl svga tcltk tcpd tiff truetype usbxface xml xml2 xmms xv
zlib
> > x86"
>
> You are pretty much including everything.
>
> Here's a list of your options the gentoo dealer will outfit your new shiny
> car with:
> http://www.gentoo.org/dyn/use-index.xml

I already looked at that list and that's where I just went down the list to
pull the things I might want to use.  Did I go overboard?

> You can change these later to fit your ever changing preferences.  A
> negative sign in front will disable that feature.
>
> Might I suggest to emerge mplayer sometime.  It will let you play every
> multimedia file known so far, including dvd's, wmv, mpeg, quicktime,
> etc...  Also, I prefer phoenix over mozilla.  Mozilla is a whale and
> phoenix is an agile killer whale without that fat.
>
> --
> Why drive a car when you can ride a bike?
> http://dattaway.org                 http://counter.li.org   user #142150

I didn't see a variable for mplayer or phoenix, did I miss something?
I also have a question about the FEATURES setting in the /etc/make.conf
file.   The example they have reads:  FEATURES="sandbox ccache buildpkg"
Should I just remove the # from the line and leave this as is?