LP conversion in Linux

Jonathan Hutchins hutchins at tarcanfel.org
Tue Dec 30 15:31:30 CST 2003

On Monday, December 29, 2003 04:06 pm, Becker, Rob wrote:
> Can anyone who is converting LP's to CD offer some tips?  What should I
> be looking for in the way of wav recorders?

I've been using gramofile, which is a console app.  It works pretty well,
lacks only auto start/stop.  After recording the file, I use gramofile to
split it into tracks.  This works _most_ of the time, but if you have a song
that fades pretty low, then picks up again, it's likely to get split.
Gramofile also has some filters that are optimized for cleaning up pops and
clicks.

> How do I get the line in or mic in on a sound card working properly?

That was my biggest problem.  All the mixers I tried in Mandrake failed to
activate recording, even when they showed that they had.  I switched to SuSE,
and the same problem persisted until I used KAMix, and set the "Capture"
settings.

Contrary to what Jim says, I think a decent turntable and sound card might
very well do a better job than some studio remastering has.  Some of the
studio work, particularly for re-released albums that were pre-CD releases,
was pretty sloppy.