LP conversion in Linux

Jim Herrmann kclug at ItDepends.com
Tue Dec 30 05:34:47 CST 2003

Becker, Rob wrote:

>  Can anyone who is converting LP's to CD offer some tips? What should
>  I be looking for in the way of wav recorders?
Audacity works great.  You'll be able to record an entire album in one
pass, assuming you have plenty disk space, then bust it up into song
files by looking at the quiet spots in the wave form.  You can also use
Audacity's filters to remove noise.

>  Which ones work best? How do I get the line in or mic in on a sound
>  card working properly?
Look in your favorite mixer, aumix or kmix etc. and you'll have probably
mic in and line in. You'll want to use the line in.  Make sure it's
unmuted and the level is turned up.  Make sure you don't over drive the
input, as you'll get distortion.  See earlier discussion on this list.

>  I've attempted to record from a stereo to a sound card using a
>  y-cable that takes the RCA out from the stereo down to a minijack
>  that plugs into the sound card. Is this a workable setup? I realize
>  that it is far from ideal and that a sound card with component plugs
>  would be preferable, but this is what I have.
Nothing wrong with the minijack. It will work just fine. Get a six foot
or so cable that has the minijack on one end, and RCA on the other.
Minimizing the number of connections is always good, but you probably
won't notice the difference any way if you use the adapter you have.
The noise that you'll get just from the LP will most likely far exceed
any you'll add with your connections.  If you're really after CD quality
sound, buy the CD.

HTH,
Jim