LP conversion in Linux

Becker, Rob becker at celeritas.com
Mon Dec 29 22:06:56 CST 2003

Can anyone who is converting LP's to CD offer some tips?  What should I
be looking for in the way of wav recorders?  Which ones work best?  How
do I get the line in or mic in on a sound card working properly?  I've
attempted to record from a stereo to a sound card using a y-cable that
takes the RCA out from the stereo down to a minijack that plugs into the
sound card.  Is this a workable setup?  I realize that it is far from
ideal and that a sound card with component plugs would be preferable,
but this is what I have.  Any thoughts, ideas, howtos, tips and
suggestions appreciated.  I would like to do this in Debian if that
makes any difference.
Thanks.
Rob