OT: Linksys router question

Brian Kelsay bkelsay at comcast.net
Mon Dec 29 06:04:51 CST 2003

Bradley Miller wrote:

> I just picked up a Linksys Wireless 4-port router for the home, I have
> another Linksys -- the Cable/DSL router.  I was hoping to get both
> working on my network.  Right now I've got the standalone router
> unplugged and the wireless 4-port in it's place.  The problem is, that's
> in the basement.  Ideally I wanted the wireless to be upstairs where I
> could get a good signal through the entire house.  Any suggestions on
> how I can go about this?   I *thought* I could figure this one out . ..
> I plugged into the internet side of the wireless router and it found my
> cable/dsl router and got an IP, gateway, and DNS info through DHCP.  I
> assigned the wireless to assign from 192.168.1.200 on up and the normal
> router from 100 on up.  I don't know if there is something that I need
> to do for bridging the two networks ?

Set your old router back in place and make sure DHCP is setup and
working.  Connect the wireless router to a Cat5 port upstairs near the
center of the house.  Set the wireless router to DHCP on both sides.  It
will get an internal network address from the wired router and it will
do dhcp to the wireless net.  It will also separate the wireless side
from the LAN if you want.  I have wired machines on 192.168.0.x and the
wireless on 192.168.2.x and it works fine.  I do some things over the
wireless to the wired side, but it is all user and password protected
and just individual links allowed by MAC of my wireless card.